Chantel Lynn Barber- The Expressive Portrait with Chantel
This Workshop has been postponed. Please check back here for rescheduling.
This art encounter hosted by the Cincinnati Art Club is featuring a three-day workshop with Chantel Lynn Barber’s style of portraiture and figure painting. Participating students are invited to Cincinnati’s Rookwood Pottery Restaurant for a free Meet the Artist lunch and tour of the Cincinnati Art Museum on March 31st, prior to the educational event. The actual workshop will start on April 1st at 9:00 AM and will last until 4:00 PM each day. More information on the lunch, museum, supplies, and other pertinent information will be emailed prior to the workshop. You can email any questions at email@example.com.
Thursday, March 31, 2022, 11:00 AM
Social Experience Package [Meet the Artist lunch at Rookwood Pottery, Cincinnati Art Museum tour, the after Workshop (Sunday, April 3rd) wine and cheese gathering]
Friday, April 1 – Sunday, April 3
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM Daily, Workshop
Reservations and payment through EventBrite. EventBrite fees will be charged in addition to price listed below. Follow this link:
Members $404 (To receive discount, request code from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Non-Members – $429
The Expressive Portrait with Chantel
How do we create expressive portraits? It begins with understanding inspiration vs. reproduction. This three-day workshop is designed to change the way you view your reference, helping you to convey on the canvas, emotionally impactful paintings. Chantel will share tips and techniques learned from over twenty-five years of working in the acrylic medium. Her gentle teaching style will enrich the painting skills of beginners and advanced artists alike, as she demonstrates painting the portrait from reference photos without losing the energy and vitality of working from life.
Specifically, students will learn about: essential materials and how to use them, what photographs make the best references for portrait painting, editing (what you leave out is just as important as what you keep in), color mixing tips, and how to recognize and use value patterns. Students will also learn the importance of edges when loosening up their painting. Chantel will discuss how these all work together in creating a strong composition. Students may bring their own photographs, but Chantel will have some on hand if needed. This workshop is designed for intermediate to advance in acrylic or oil painters. Chantel will work in acrylics, but oil & acrylic painters are both welcome to work in their preferred medium!
Chantel is on a journey to capture the human spirit in her work. And she does it all in acrylic – with strong color, energetic brushwork, light and story. Her loose style draws the viewer’s attention, visually beckoning them to wonder at the essence of life. Chantel is a Signature Member of the International Society of Acrylic Painters (ISAP), an Associate with Distinction Member of American Women Artists (AWA), and a member of the Portrait Society of America (PSoA) and National Oil & Acrylic Painters’ Society (NOAPS). She has served as the National Coordinator of the State Ambassador program for the PSoA.
Chantel’s passion for art began flourishing at age 11 when she was mentored under local San Diego artists. She continued to study and experiment with art in and out of college while living in such diverse places as Newport, Rhode Island, Keflavik, Iceland and El Paso, Texas. While enrolled in a college art course, a fellow student introduced her to acrylic paints, and she soon fell in love with the medium but found it to be dominated by abstract styles. Her first love was portraiture for which she found little advice. As she dreamed of perfecting her skills as an acrylic portrait artist, Chantel continued to learn from professional oil painters and translated their teachings into acrylic techniques.
Chantel has been featured in solo art shows and juried exhibitions. Her award-winning paintings are in private and public collections throughout the world. Her work is published in Acrylic Artist magazine, American Art Collector, Southwest Art, The Artist’s Magazine, Fine Art Connoisseur, International Artist Magazine and several books. Chantel resides in Bartlett, Tennessee where she creates and teaches private workshops in her studio. She also teaches workshops throughout the United States and Canada.
For more information about Chantel visit her website at https://www.chantellynnbarber.com.
Selected Award Highlights:
- Best Acrylic 11th Annual Plein Air Salon Competition 2021
- 9th Place Non-Commissioned Portrait Category – Portrait Society of America Members Only Competition, December 2021
- Outstanding Acrylic – BoldBrush Painting Competition, September 2021
- Outstanding Acrylic – BoldBrush Painting Competition, July 2021
- Outstanding Acrylic – BoldBrush Painting Competition, June 2021
- Best Acrylic 10th Annual Plein Air Salon Competition 2020
- Award of Excellence – National Oil & Acrylic Painters’ Society 2020 Spring Online International Exhibition
- Finalist – BoldBrush Painting Competition, March 2020
- Finalist – BoldBrush Painting Competition, January 2020
- Finalist Outside the Box Category – Portrait Society of America’s Members Only Competition, December 2019
- Honorable Mention – International Society of Acrylic Painters All- Member Online Exhibition, December 2019
- Winner AcrylicWorks 7: Color and Light Peak Media 2019 Acrylics Competition
- Finalist – BoldBrush Painting Competition, August 2019
- Award of Excellence – National Oil & Acrylic Painters’ Society 2019 Spring Online International Exhibition
- Finalist – BoldBrush Painting Competition, March 2019
- Winner AcrylicWorks 6: Creative Energy North Light Books’ 2018 Acrylics Competition
- Winner Strokes of Genius 9: Creative Discoveries North Light Books’ 2016 Drawing Competition
- Master Class Finalist – Art Muse Contest, November 2018
- Master Class Finalist – Art Muse Contest, February 2018
- Outstanding Acrylic – BoldBrush Painting Competition, January 2018
- 2017 Annual Award Winner Master Class – Art Muse Contest
- Master Class Finalist – Art Muse Contest, October 2017